- Preview: Our Top Front Load Washer Picks
- Why You Should Shop Front Loaders
- Before You Buy a Front Load Washer
- Our Best Front Load Washer Picks
Since their introduction to the market, front load washers have revolutionized how buyers shop for a new washer to the point that the debate is now “are you team top load or team front load?” At first glance, it’s easy to think the difference is purely aesthetic, but in reality, front load washing machines come with a substantial list of incentives the regular shopper might not be aware of. Follow along as we dive into the benefits of front load washers, plus our list of favorite front loaders.
- Overall Best Front Load Washer: LG 5.0 Cu. Ft. Black Steel Mega Capacity Smart Wi-Fi Enabled Front Load Washer (WM4500HBA)
- Best Budget Front Load Washer: Samsung 4.5 Cu. Ft. White Front Load Washer (WF45T6200AW)
- Best Mega-Capacity Front Load Washer: GE® 5.0 Cu. Ft. White Smart Front Load Washer (GFW850SSNWW)
- Best Front Load Washer under $1,000: GE® 4.8 Cu. Ft. White Smart Front Load Washer (GFW650SSNWW)
- Best Front Load Washer under $900: LG 4.5 Cu. Ft. White Ultra Large Capacity Smart Wi-Fi Enabled Front Load Washer (WM3600HWA)
Front load washers provide a sleek look that suits modern homes, but there are more reasons to consider a front loader besides aesthetics.
For one, front loading washing machines are typically more energy-efficient than top load washers. That’s largely due to the unique drum design that requires less water to wash and tumble action that agitates clothes. Additionally, the lack of an agitator also means clothes receive gentler fabric care, which can help prolong the life of your favorite garments. Users can also expect greater spin speeds with front load washers, which helps reduce dry times, adding to additional overall savings.
Another way front load washers help you save is with more installation possibilities. Unlike freestanding top load washers, which cannot be stacked with a dryer, stackable front load washer and dryer pairs offer an alternative way to install that increases floorspace. And since front load laundry appliances use a door that opens outward instead of upward, they’re also convenient for under-counter installation.
- Related: Learn more about washers and dryers in our guide on How to Shop for Laundry Appliances.
Of course, front load washing machines come with their own list of considerations. These are three important factors shoppers should think about before buying a front load washer.
- A common issue with front load washers is the accumulation of mold and mildew on the door and gasket. However, since this is a direct result of the airtight design and leaving clothes in the washer for too long, this can easily be solved by simply leaving the washer door ajar after every load.
- Another factor to consider is the ability to add clothes to the wash after it’s begun. While front loading washers can be paused to add clothes, doing so requires the washer to drain all the water in the tub before users can load forgotten articles of clothes. Some see this as a negative since it uses more water and adds time to the wash.
- Finally, when it comes to budget, front load washers generally start at a higher price point than top load washers.
As a leading independent appliance dealer with award-winning sales and services, we at Big Sandy Superstore have always been devoted to providing our shoppers with reliable furnishings, appliances, and electronics. Our list of best front load washing machines is no exception. After carefully analyzing the best washer features and customer ratings, these five front load washers came out on top.
1. Overall Best Front Load Washer: LG 5.0 Cu. Ft. Black Steel Mega Capacity Smart Wi-Fi Enabled Front Load Washer ($1,149 – $1,499)
With 5 cubic feet of washer capacity, this best front load washer from LG easily handles the largest loads — so you can wash less often. Program and monitor washes from virtually anywhere with ThinQ® Technology that turns a smart device into a wireless control hub. Complete with Proactive Customer Care, this washer can even troubleshoot issues before they turn into costly repairs.
Wash clothes with confidence knowing AI Fabric sensor technology optimizes clothes care depending on the fabric. Plus, with Smart Pairing, this smart washer can even sync with a compatible dryer to set up an optimized dry cycle based off the wash.
Other exclusive wash features include TurboWash™ 360 Technology that uses five jets to thoroughly clean in under 30 minutes and an Allergiene™ Cycle with steam that removes 95% of pet dander and dust from clothes.
2. Best Budget Front Load Washer: Samsung 4.5 Cu. Ft. White Front Load Washer ($729 – $949)
This Energy Star certified front load washer is easy on the wallet and continues to provide savings with an enhanced washer technology that keeps energy and water costs low. The large 4.5 cubic-foot wash tub handles large loads of laundry and can even wash an eight-pound load of laundry in 30 minutes with the Super Speed cycle.
Shoppers on a budget will appreciate all the high-end washer features this pick has, too. Skip pre-treating clothes by using the powerful Steam option that penetrates fibers, gently lifting stains and messes. And since front load washers require a little more care, this washer comes with smart Self Clean+ technology capable of removing 99% of bacteria and notifies users when it’s time to sanitize the washer.
Other upgrades include VRT Plus™ Technology for reduced vibration and silent operation, plus an innovative drum with a smooth design that helps remove water from clothes better and it prevents garments from snagging.
3. Best Mega-Capacity Front Load Washer: GE® 5.0 Cu. Ft. White Smart Front Load Washer ($989 – $1,099)
On top of providing the same wash capacity as our overall best front load washer, this mega-capacity front loader from GE comes with a hearty list of exclusives at a lower price point.
Standout features include Microban® antimicrobial technology and an UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ that combat mold and bacteria buildup commonly found on front loaders. Additional intelligent design consists of SmartDispense™ Technology capable of holding enough detergent for up to 32 loads and WiFi-enabled monitoring and programming, and 1 Step Wash + Dry that lets users do a complete load of laundry from just the washer.
4. Best Front Load Washer under $1,000: GE® 4.8 Cu. Ft. White Smart Front Load Washer ($889 – $999)
Nearly identical to our favorite mega-capacity washer, this GE front load washer under $1,000 is a great best-buy option for shoppers who want major value at an affordable price. Like its counterpart, this smart washer comes with Microban® technology and the UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ to eliminate moisture and odor.
Other convenient features include PowerSteam, a Sanitize + Allergen Cycle that removes 99% of allergens and bacteria from clothes, built-in WiFi controls, and a Quick Wash Cycle that tackles lighter loads in 20 minutes. Plus, with a reversible door and counter-depth design, this front load washer fits into even more spaces, making it a good choice for apartments and condos or as an add-on to a master bedroom suite.
5. Best Smart Front Load Washer under $900: LG 4.5 Cu. Ft. White Ultra Large Capacity Smart Wi-Fi Enabled Front Load Washer ($699 – $899)
An extreme value, this LG front load washer under $900 makes light work of laundry with a 4.5 cubic-foot wash capacity and smart features. Enjoy intelligent LG features like ThinQ® WiFi-connected controls, Proactive Customer Care appliance diagnosis, AI Fabric sensors, and Smart Pairing optimized wash and dry technology.
Every load receives deluxe treatment with wash options like Steam and the Allergiene™ Cycle certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). Plus, with ColdWash™ technology, users can enjoy warm-water performance with the convenient savings of washing with cold water.
Experience the Big Sandy Difference
Front loading washers have been on the scene for a while now, which is great news for shoppers who were first skeptical of their performance and reliability. After a couple of generations and several improvements, front loaders have become a standard laundry appliance and great option for shoppers who want something sleek and efficient.
For the best stock of front loading washing machines, shop local at a Big Sandy Superstore showroom near you throughout Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Michigan, and Missouri. We’re stocked with reliable appliances, home furnishings, mattresses and electronics at the best possible value for the money spent with a one-stop shopping experience for everything you need for the home. Explore online or in-store today!